Timeline: How farmers’ R-Day tractor rally turned violent | India News


NEW DELHI: Chaotic scenes prevailed in Delhi-NCR on Tuesday after the farmers protesting against the three farm laws clashed with the police at several places and entered the iconic Red Fort and ITO in the heart of the city.
The Delhi Police had given permission to the farmers to hold their tractor parade on selected routes only after the official Republic Day parade on the Rajpath had concluded.
However, chaos erupted when the farmers broke through police barricades, defied tear gas and stormed into the national capital.
Here’s how the agitation turned violent …
7am-9.30am: Thousands of farmers camping at various border points in Tikri, Singhu and Ghazipur start entering the national capital. Farmers break barricades in Tikri and Singhu borders amid clashes with police.
10am: Farmers clash with Delhi Police personnel near Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar. Police fire tear gas shells on the protesters.
10.30am: Farmers clash with Delhi Police personnel near Akshardham intersection. Farmers damage the vehicles parked on the road and DTC buses near the Akshardham intersection.
11am: Police fire tear gas shells and resort to mild lathi-charge. Some farmers armed with swords clash with police. Farmers move towards Sarai Kale Khan after deviating from the route assigned to them before the conclusion of the Republic Day parade at Rajpath.
Post 12pm: Farmers clash with police near Mukarba Chowk. Farmers reach near ITO intersection in central Delhi and damage vehicles and DTC buses.
Farmers chase police with their tractors, damaging more DTC buses near ITO as they are prevented from moving towards the Red Fort.
Hundreds of farmers riding tractors, bikes and cars reach Red Fort portico and enter its premises and hoist the farmer union flags and saffron pennant with a Sikh religious symbol on the first rampart of the iconic 17th century monument.
1pm: A farmer named Navneet Singh dies after a tractor in which he was travelling turns turtle. However, the farmers claimed that he was shot dead. Farmers sit with the dead body at ITO. Police enter Red Fort premises and tries to remove the farmer union flags.
2.30pm: Farmers clash with police personnel near ITO intersection as well as Red Fort. Stone pelting also reported.
Post 3pm: Police remove farmers from Red Fort, resort to mild lathi-charge.
MHA orders suspension of internet services till midnight in areas of Singhu, Ghazipur, Tikri, Mukarba Chowk and Nangloi and adjoining places.
(With inputs from IANS)

Source link


It’s nice to meet you.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox, every week.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.